The global rich list is a comprehensive index of the world’s wealthiest billionaires and richest people. We take into account all assets and cash held by that individual when we calculate their total net worth. We aim to be as accurate as possible with our rankings, subject to the public information and data that is available. We update this list on a regular basis as new data becomes available.
1) Jeff Bezos – Net Worth $143 Billion. The Amazon tycoon remains the richest person in the world for the third year in a row. This is despite his recent huge divorce settlement where he gave his ex-wife MacKenzie $36 billion worth of Amazon shares.
It has been reported that the Amazon CEO has increased his wealth by a staggering $24bn so far during the coronavirus pandemic, as locked-down consumers fill their days with online shopping.
2) Bill Gates – Net Worth $105 Billion. The founder of Microsoft and Chairman of the worlds largest private charitable foundation the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The foundation was launched in 2000 (previously the William H. Gates Foundation) and has assets of over $46.8 billion. It aims to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty in the world.
3) Bernard Arnault – Net Worth $90 Billion. The Frenchman owns a huge luxury fashion and retail empire including Louis Vuitton, Sephora and the American jewellery brand Tiffany & Co.
4) Warren Buffett – Net Worth $69.8 Billion. The American investor, business tycoon, and philanthropist is head of investment firm Berkshire Hathaway and is arguably one of the worlds most successful investors.
5) Mark Zuckerberg – Net Worth $68.3 Billion. The Facebook CEO and philanthropist. He has recently given a large proportion of his wealth to charity and his Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is helping to increase COVID-19 testing.
6) Larry Ellison – Net Worth $65.3 Billion. The co-founder of software giant Oracle. He relinquished his role as CEO in 2014 but still remains chairman of the board and chief technology officer.
7) Larry Page – Net Worth $61.4 Billion. The co-founder of Google with fellow student Sergey Brin in 1998. He stepped down as CEO of Google’s parent company Alphabet in 2019 but still remains a member of the board.
8) Sergey Brin – Net Worth 59.2 Billion. Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin together with Larry Page (see above), co-founded Google. The software engineer and internet entrepreneur was the president of Google’s parent company Alphabet until stepping down from the position in December 2019.
9) Amancio Ortega – Net Worth $59.1 Billion. As a co-founder of Inditex, one of the world’s largest fashion retailers that includes the Zara brand, he is considered to be one of the wealthiest men in Europe. Although he stepped down as chairman in 2011, he still retains 60% of the company’s shares.
10) Steve Ballmer – $58.4 Billion. The former Microsoft CEO who headed the company from January 2000 to February 2014. He is the current owner of the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers which he bought for $2 billion upon his retirement from Microsoft.
11) Jim Walton – Net Worth £53 Billion. The son of Walmart co-founder Sam Walton. Jim and his siblings, Rob and Alice Walton all enjoy the same net worth, give or take the odd billion. Rob Walton is the current chairman of Walmart, having taken up the position upon the death of his father in 1992.
12) Carlos Slim Helu – Net Worth 50.3 Billion Was onced ranked as the richest man in the world by Forbes, he is still considered to be the richest man in Mexico though. Carlos and his family control America Movil, Latin America’s biggest mobile telecom firm.
13) Francoise Bettencourt Meyers – Net Worth $49 Billion. The richest woman in the world and the granddaughter of L’Oreal’s founder Eugène Paul Louis Schueller, the French pharmacist and entrepreneur who died in 1958. Francoise and her family own 33% of L’Oreal stock, the world’s largest cosmetics company.
14) Michael Bloomberg – Net Worth $48.5 Billion. Co-founder of media giant Bloomberg and mayor of New York City from 2002 to 2013. He still owns 88% of the company which generates over $10 billion of revenue.
15) Charles Koch – Net Worth $44.4 Billion. The chairman and CEO of Koch Industries since 1967. The company has a turnover of $110 billion and is the second largest private company by revenue in America.
16) Julia Koch – Net Worth $43 Billion. The wife of the late billionaire industrialist David Koch who died in August 2019. Julia Koch and her three children inherited a 42% share in Koch Industries.
17) Jack Mar – $41.4 Billion. The Chinese businessman and politician and is the co-founder and former chairman (stepping down in 2019) of the Alibaba Group, one of the world’s largest e-commerce businesses. He is a global ambassador for Chinese business and ranked as the second wealthiest person in China.
18) Ma Huateng – Net Worth $39 Billion. The chairman and chief executive officer of Chinese Internet giant Tencent Holdings. The company owns China’s biggest messaging, social media and mobile payment app WeChat, which claims it has more than 1 billion users.
19) MacKenzie Bezos – $38.4 Billion. The ex-wife of the current richest man in the world and Amazon CEO, Jeff Bezos. Upon their divorce in 2019 after 26 years of marriage, her husband gave her 25% of his Amazon stake, which was equivalent to 4% of the company’s value at that time and equated to $35 billion in monetary terms.
20) Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani – Net Worth £38 Billion. The Indian businessman is the chairman and managing director of the oil and gas conglomerate Reliance Industries Ltd. The company has revenues of over $88 billion and is India’s most valuable company by market value and a Fortune Global 500 company.